Which Vegan Cheese Is the Best?

If you're like me, cheese was the hardest thing to give up.  Yes I'll say it, I love cheese.  But the fact of the matter is that cheese does not love me back.  For me it took about a month for the cheese cravings to go away, and now I can see it, smell it, etc, and it doesn't cause me to want it.

One thing that helps is a good cheese substitute.  So the cool thing is that you can go vegan and still eat nachos and pizza.  This post will consider and rate the best vegan cheeses.  This may be a dynamic post, because I'm still discovering more vegan cheeses with every passing month.

Let's consider the following vegan cheeses in categories that most men really care about: 1. Flavor, 2. Ability to Melt, and 3. Price.

1. Daiya

Flavor:  Daiya is pretty good with flavor, it truly tastes like cheese. Of course you have to remember what kind of cheese you are getting, for instance mozzarella has inherently less sodium than a cheddar.  Likewise the Daiya mozzarella is a little more bland than their cheddar, but that only mimics reality. I give it 7 out of 10 on flavor.

Ability to Melt: Daiya advertises that it melts and stretches, and it does. When it melts it still is somewhat solid. I give it 7 out of 10 on melting.

Price: Daiya is priced very well, it is very competitive. The trouble is not every grocery store carries it. I give it 8 out of 10 on price.

2. Follow Your Heart

Flavor: Follow Your Heart does very well with flavor.  Same point as Daiya, it depends on the type of cheese you get, but their mozzarella does have a better flavor. I give it 8 out of 10 on flavor.

Ability to Melt: Follow Your Heart melts very well.  It has a lighter feel than Daiya, and therefore it seems to melt faster and smoother than Daiya. I give it 8 out of 10 on melting.

Price: Follow Your Heart has a bit of a steeper price than Daiya. However keep a keen on it at the grocery store, when it goes on sale, stock up on it! I give it 7 out of 10 on price.


Results - Adding up all the points, Follow Your Heart slightly edges out Daiya 23 to 22.


Comments